Friday, June 16, 2017

I'LL HAVE A PEDICURE WITH THAT TUMMY RUB

A pile of Rascal's hair after
grooming and, yes, there's
still a lot of hair on the dog!
I didn’t know much of anything about Cocker Spaniels when Rascal came to stay with us. Nothing new there. I’ve brought home a number of different purebred and mixed breed dogs with little knowledge of breed characteristics. That’s not a bad thing, because I don’t have preconceived expectations, and the dogs will teach me what I need to know.

One thing I quickly learned was Cocker Spaniels have a lot of hair! Similar to sheep’s wool, but it keeps growing. We had a couple not very positive experiences with groomers, so I decided to get a pair of clippers and try haircuts at home. I like to have my Cocker Spaniel’s coat fairly short as it’s easier to keep him clean and bug-free. 

He is also prone to ear infections because of his long, floppy ears. Since he’s been abused around the head, he is very fearful of grooming in that area, but will tolerate it with love and tummy rubs.


Grooming can be a time-consuming task, but this also gives me special time alone with each furbaby. Rascal's style may not always be the prettiest, but I get most of the job done and he feels so much better afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment