Monday, December 29, 2014

WHAT'S YOUR REACTION OF HABIT?


IF A DRIVER CUTS YOU OFF, WHAT IS YOUR REACTION?
A spurt of anger? Flipping them off? Wishing them peace and a dented fender? Neutrally accepting that not everyone behind the wheel is a good driver at all times?

This morning, I realized my reaction to many small irritations is an instant burst of anger. 

WHY DO YOU REACT THAT WAY?
As I've been doing for a number of years, I dug around in that reaction for a while. 

Why did I react in anger? Well, I grew up among anger. It's familiar. I know how to deal with it. I don't like it.

So if I don't want to react with anger and don't like the after-emotion of being ashamed of this reaction, why do I do it?

And I realized: it's a reaction of habit.

YOU CAN CHANGE A HABIT!
Then I wondered…if I can experience a burst of anger, why not a burst of love? Or a burst of patience? Or a burst of...nothing. No reaction other than it was a fact someone wasn't driving perfectly and I was glad it didn't result in an accident.

I could choose my reaction and practice until it became automatic--a reaction of habit. 

But one that felt good.

And it didn't have to be limited to the driving decisions of others. I could choose my reaction to any situation and be proud of it!

A REACTION OF HABIT CAN BE POSITIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment